Saturday, July 19, 2008

Wednesday, July 09 - The Flood

This day was the other half of why I havn't been able to keep up with my blog. I walked by the basement door and caught a glint of water out of the corner of my eye. I assumed the furnace was leaking again, boy was I wrong. Upon further investigation I discovered water EVERYWHERE, not just where it usually leaks in, and lots of it. I knew this wasn't furnace and there hadn't been a storm in a few days, so where did this water come from? Remember Monday, when I mentioned that the kids had been filling water ballons in my yard? That's right, my wonderful cherubs and their friends left the hose on for TWO days!

So the fort of empty boxes that Jake and his buddy layed seige to and destroyed was now not just a huge mess, but a sopping wet mess. The water got three of the rugs, some toys, winter gear (why were these in the fort?), and all of the electronics cables were laying in it.

The kids and I spent the entire day down there. We got the wet boxes thrown out, (thank God for the renovation across the street, their dumpster came in handy!), and they dry ones and the paper nested and stacked in the one dry corner. The rugs are indoor/outdoor utility rugs so they are non-absorbant and light. When I lifted them up all the water poured off. I drug those upstairs to dry. Elle wiped the stairs so no one would fall, her and Jake took turns sweeping the several inches of water we found under the boxes towards the drain and sweeping debris. I carefully unplugged everything from the wall which ,thankfully, wasn't wet and Elle and I moved the furniture. That was fun.

Baby had a great time down there watching us work. The positive sides of today? The kids worked without one complaint. They seemed to understand this was their error and they needed to take responsibility, (proud moment). And, we have been needing to get the basement organized. Now it is partially organized and even got a cleaning.

No comments: