Monday, July 14, 2008

Sunday, July 06 Day of Rest?

I have grand visions of the restful day Sundays will be for us. Here is the reality...

After church we go buy a paper and I always intend on relaxing on the couch and reading through it. Yeah, that never happens. I usually skim it on Tuesday or so, pulling out the ads and coupons.

I had to mow my enormous yard so housing won't issue me another 'friendly' reminder of housing standards (snort, that' a whole other blog discussion right there) because my weeds are 1/4" too long. I enlist my kids to help with this chore-that is usually met with enthusiasm (like I enjoy it?). I had them pick up sticks and pull some weeds, then watch the baby. (Side note~super huge THANK YOU to my awesome neighbors Jake & Holly for filling my gas can for me. THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU!)

I was halfway through the back yard (did I mention that it is enormous and slopes down? At least I am developing great arm muscles!) when I found a strange knob in the grass. I had no ides where it came from so I put it in my pocket and kept mowing. A short while later I realized that the top handle of the mower was coming off. The knob had come off one side. I searched the yard for the missing screw but never found it. Mowing on an incline is interesting when the handle is not sturdy.

Baby was crabby all day. This made her sister, who was watching her so I could mow, crabby too. The joys of teething.

Then dinner came. I made a new recipe, baked turkey sandwich, cut up a melon, and all seemed to enjoy it. Then one of my children, I won't say who, gagged on a piece of melon then retched into their cup. This child stood up, still retching, took two steps and puked orange melon all over my carpet. I couldn't get the baby set down fast enough, the dog got to it first. Disgusting.

During all this a headache had been forming that was rapidly turning into a migrane. Baby continued to fuss through bedtime (and beyond). I finally had to let her fuss in her crib a bit to get myself together. She finally went to sleep with a little more rocking and I put myself in bed two hours earlier than normal.

So much for a day of rest.

No comments: