Sunday, July 27, 2008

07-17 Summer with a sense of humor

My girlfriend Stacey and I have been heading up outings to the movie theatre for the summer movie program. The first week we had 16 kids and no other adults with us and we all had a blast. But it seems like every week there is some kind of drama. This week's movie was Nim's Island and we all got there a bit later than we wanted so we all would up sitting apart. One mom with her 3 kids, another with her two boys and Jake, Stacey's 2 girls and Elle with one of the other mom's 3-year-old in her lap, and me and Stacey with our infants...on the floor in the aisle next to the girls. I promptly knocked over my stroller, and spilled my popcorn, when I took Bekah's infant seat out, Stacey's 14 month old kept trying to walk across the front of the theatre, and we very quickly discovered that the carpet along the wall was wet. But hey, the movie was good, the kids had a good time, and at least the floor wasn't sticky. We had a good laugh throughout the movie.

After the movie I was forced to go to the 10th circle of Hell, I mean Wal-Mart. I needed to find some baskets for a friend that I only find there and a three other household things that I looked all over town for and couldn't find. I would have even been willing to pay the extra to not have to go in this store. After that I ran to Lowe's to see about replacing the missing screw from my lawnmower. They conveniently sell a two pack of the knob and screw sets, this is so common.

We met a friend for lunch, another deployment gal. After we ran to our favorite second hand store, met Stacey to give her Jake (Elle had a game), then headed home for naps. A short while later another lovely midwestern storm rolled in. No game for Elle.

This turned out to be a good thing as we were able to get to the VBS closing on time. In fact we got there just in time to find Jake and his buddy in a time out in the lobby instead of with their group. It was a good thing it the last night. So we all gathered in the Sanctuary and they did a (very loud) review of the theme and daily lessons, then all the kids got up on the stage and sang and danced to some songs they learned this week. It was a really large VBS undertaking and the kids had a great time. After they had root beer floats, yum. Jake kept begging me for the companion cd so they could have the songs so I bought it (it was only $5) and they sang to it the whole way home. Worth every penny.

Thank you so much Stacey for involving my kids and taking them with you. You are my superhero!

1 comment:

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

You two are champs. VBS looks wonderful. Your dd looks so much like you.

I love baby kisses. I'm blessed that Stacia still gives them.

You've discovered the great truth of large families - the more you have the more they entertain themselves. LOL