Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Poem

This happened a few weeks ago but I needed some material for my creative writing class. So here you go.

To The Pretty Boy At The Gym

You strutted into the near empty gym just after nine
rows and rows of empty machines wait to be abused
but you had to park your over chiseled muscles
onto the treadmill next to me
the overweight mother of three.

I cannot keep up with the rhythmic thumping
of your feet as you go nowhere
while raindrops of sweat pour out of you.
Fans to circulate the air blow
your crunchy hair does not move.

Sweat soaked shirt color coordinated to your shorts
and shoes. The fans force your scent towards me
the same scent my husband wears
when we go on a date or on special occasions
not to the gym in the morning.

Who the hell wears cologne to the gym in the morning?
You smell like my husband
and I miss my husband
and I have to get off the machine now
and move downwind before my tears join my sweat.

1 comment:

Missy said...

Oh my gosh-I loved this poem! I haven't checked your blog in a while and this totally cracked me up!! I agree about the cologne-I can even smell it on the girls-makes me want to gag it's so strong in the morning.