Monday, April 20, 2009

Who needs an alarm clock...

... when you can be woken up by the sound of men on your roof using a leaf blower?

Many of you know I don't sleep well when Ben is gone. To keep myself going, I usually nap when baby does, otherwise I'll be a zombie by dinnertime. Today baby and I are sound asleep, when I hear thumping, loud thumping. At first I thought it was baby, then I hear the leaf blower, more thumping, and I see leaves falling from my roof faster than the wind. I go to the front and sure enough there is a ladder leading to my roof and a man holding it.

Um, excuse me, what the heck are you doing?

We had a work order to clean the gutters.

Huh?

Yeah and extend the drainage tubes away from the house. Didn't you call it in?

No. Are you sure you have the right house?

Yup, it's your address. Someone should have called you to let you know.

Nope no calls.

We tried to knock.

Yeah, it's naptime. Baby is napping, I was napping, why are you working on my house?

So apparently, our neighbors are having severe problems with flooding in their basement and our house is above theirs so they are cleaning our gutters real well and forcing our runoff towards the street away from the houses. Not a bad thing but a little notice would have been preferable. Classic privatized housing. And I love that they are doing all this on the windiest day we've had this month. More crap is blowing off the trees as they are clearing the roof. But since they were here I mentioned that a huge piece of branch had come off my tree in the back. One had seen it from my roof already and said he would be back with a chainsaw. Awesome. He moved it to the curb and even picked up all the larger pieces of branches from around my house. Silver lining I guess.

1 comment:

Holly said...

no joke. this EXACT thing happened to me when Jake was deployed and I was pregnant with the twins.
hu huh. napping and everything.
only the dude didn't speak english.

he still got the point to GO AWAY some how ;-)