We started off the morning driving through Custer State Park. The road from Keystone to the park was nothing but winding roads and one-way tunnels (honk your horn before proceeding. What???) up one side of the mountain and down the other. Those who know me well are already laughing because they know that I am a very motion sick person. I actually did okay. A little queasy but mostly fascinated by the fact that many of the roads in this area had signs that said, "No winter road maintenace, road closed in winter, turn back". Am I the only one who finds this weird? And I survived 2 winters in AK! I don't recall them closing roads there. De'Etta did they do that in Eagle River?
Anyway, coming down the mountain you entered into the park and it was cool. This was my favorite part of the trip. Not only was the drive and the land just beautiful, but the animals were cool. Wild turkeys, buffalo, donkeys, mountain goats, all roaming free as they please and usually in the road. The park fee was a bit expensive and then there were no more animals once you got into the heart of the park. Had we known we may not have bothered going any further once we came off the mountain road, and just been happy with the animals we saw. Live and learn (Hint, hint, Holly and De'Etta).
Pictures of the morning;
A view from near the top of the pass


1 comment:
I LOVE Bec's expression in that final photo! Great shot!
Post a Comment