Friday, November 20, 2009

Proctor & Gamble and Thanksgiving

I was at the commissary, my least favorite place, getting Thanksgiving dinner and some cereal before my kids revolt over the lack of breakfast options. It was actually a good trip for once. No meltdowns or crying or screaming, and Beks was pretty good too, hee hee. Anyway, I was checking my list and making sure I had found every coupon I could before getting in line when this vendor comes up and asks if I'm shopping for Thanksgiving. I looked at the 17 pound bird in the top of my cart and just smiled and said yes. Then he asks if I would like a turkey for free courtesy of P&G. Well, who wouldn't, but what do I have buy in order to get said bird?

Nothing.

Excuse me?

Nothing, we would just like to thank our military families. Uh, yes please. So he brings me a 15ish pound Butterball and wishes us a Happy Thanksgiving. I said thank you, while trying not to cry, and headed for the line.


WOW.


I'm not sure who or why, but I saw him heading over to another mom as I was heading to a cashier. All I know, is God is amazing. Ben and I are both a little stressed about this move. Not that we aren't excited, but Rising View flat out told us that we have to pay for December even though that was well beyond 30 days notice, so basically this month and next we are making 3 house payments each. Our mortgae in TX, rent for military housing, a down this month and the first month's rent next month. Added to tires for Ben's car, all three kid's birthdays, and Christmas- like I said stressed.


So last night, I couldn't sleep. I was trying not to worry but I was, I'm not going to lie. So I prayed. I didn't ask God for more or to make up the difference, I thanked Him for what we have. I thanked Him that we can make those payments, and celebrate birthdays, and still feed our children. I thanked Him that I am worrying because we have the choice between two houses, instead of worrying where our children will sleep tonight. I thanked HIM. Then I prayed that I would be more mindful of our blessings, because sometimes I lose sight of them. I prayed that I would be a bit more dsciplined with our income and careful with our gifts, becasue sometimes I'm not. I finally fell asleep after 2ish, and I went to sleep determind not to worry, but to be disciplined and frugal. And I was both at the commissary.

So I want to take this opportunity to put in a shameless plug for P&G, makers of Pampers, Swiffer, Dawn, Tide, Bounce, Always, Tampax, etc. and thank them for blessing this military family. And I want to thank God for reminding me to STOP worrying, he's got it all under control, and for showing me that he really does use anyone who is willing.


Oh, and before I forget (because I have been forgetting), Thanskgiving dinner will be served around 4 at our house. Please, please, please, if I haven't already contacted you (especially any deployed spouses), know that everyone is welcome. My brain has only partially recovered from school so I'm sure I have missed people, but come on over. I don't want to hear that anyone didn't have a place to go.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG! Such a blessing, and me not going to the commiisary today since i felt so crappy. I am kicking myself now!

It will all work out, you will just have to make some sacrifices to move into your dream house, it will be okay. Rising View is a stcikler for that 30 day rule, and it is always the case that when you find a place you want to move into, they want you to do it yesterday. Kinda annoying.

D'Ache' said...

That was nice! Wished they could have been here. I had to buy 2 turkeys; one for the office and one for us. (I want the leftovers. :))