I know most of you are waiting for vacation updates, and if I ever get caught back up on my homework, you might get them. For now, I had to share about something that got me fired up inside yesterday. Don't worry, I was fired up in a good way. The sermon yesterday was about baptism, a hot button topic among believers. And, can I just say, wow. It was an awesome sermon. Steve, (the preacher), stated in the beginning of the sermon two super important points.
1. What we believe about baptism tends to be shaped by what we were taught growing up
2. The BIBLE is the authority on this (well, all) subject(s). Not the church, not the church leaders or elders, not a church's doctrine, only the bible.
I will be completely honest, I am having a hard time in this church. Ben loves it, the kids love it, me? I struggle. I know that it's not about a building, it is about MY relationship with Christ, so I deal. The only concern Ben had and I shared, was on the subject of baptism. We hadn't heard much on the subject nor had we seen any done.
Now here is my discalimer - my blog, my beliefs, if you don't like them, feel free not to read. I was not raised in a church, I was raised in a family that baptized babies, I became a Christian as an adult, and, thanks to the military, have worshiped in a lot of different places and 'churches'. Through MY personal studies since then I firmly believe, and have stated this belief many times (and been shot down by people who 'know more' than I do) that the moment you (note, YOU, not your parents for you), accept Jesus into your heart and confess so, you are saved. To that end, I am also steadfast in the belief that once you have accepted Christ, you go get baptized. Why? Because I believe (and have said it exactly this way) that you do it out of obedience to God. Along with many other changes in your life, (including worship/fellowship with other believers and studying the Word, but that's a whole other blog topic), you get baptized.
Now, here is where it gets ugly among believers. I believe you should do it as soon as possible - if you are physically able. There are many who believe it's all about the baptism, you aren't saved until you get into that water, and if you can't, well too bad, should have done it sooner. While others don't feel the need to baptize or aren't in any rush.
So what about the sermon got me fired up? Let me share the words the preacher spoke;
"Baptism is not optional"
Baptism "is biblical"
"Bible is the authority - not the church..."
"Scripture puts the importance of baptism at the beginning of spiritual life"
And this one, this is what really fired me up
"Baptism is important because it's an act of obedience to the word of God"
Did anyone else catch that? Let me quote it again
"Baptism is important because it's an act of obedience to the word of God"
I have said it, almost exactly like that, many, many, many, many times.
And been shot down, many, many, many, many times.
Understand, I am not saying this in a prideful way, though I do feel a bit vindicated, I am saying this because I felt, for once, that maybe I could be useful in God's kingdom. I did have something right and I was right to try and share it. And for those out there who are saying (and I've heard this before), "well it's that obedience word we don't like", I say too bad. Following Jesus is hard work. It's not all blessings and joy, sometimes living a life in Christ is hard. Don't believe me, read James 1. Note the 'when', not 'if'. You can sugar coat it all you want, but there are things we are commanded to do and to not do. We choose to be either obedient or disobedient (pretty sure those terms are in the bible too).
I won't leave you with just my rantings. Here are some versus regarding baptism from the sermon
Matt 3:1-6
Luke 11:37-38
Matt 28:18-20
Acts 2:38, 41
2:14-41
10
16:16-34
Rom 6:1-10
The preacher also had some very interesting things to say about infant baptism and the idea that immersion, and only immersion, equals salvation. But, again, that's for another blog post. If you would like to hear the sermon or some others, there is an old one about forgiving yourself that is powerful too, here you go
http://www.brookside.net/templates/System/details.asp?id=42904&PID=592871
Talk about spiritual nourishment. Thanks, Pastor Steve, I needed that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
that bible rocks, doesn't it!?
Jake loved that sermon too - I had a meeting but can't wait to hear it myself -
I LOVE SEEING YOU PUMPED UP about this!
Post a Comment